Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 172

Thread: Va apologizes for slavery...

  1. #31
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    [ QUOTE ]
    I am a descendent of slaveholders. I am also a descendent of indentured servants and of transported criminals. I feel no compulsion to apologize for any of them. The culture in which they lived did not regard slavery with the same degree of repugnance that is now attached to it. Virtually all of the cultures of West Africa at the time of the slave trade practised some form of slavery- so did much of Europe. It does not bother me that the General Assembly passed a resolution condemning the practice as long as due respect is shown for all periods of Virginia history- something which has not been done of late- witness the SCV licence plate. Attempts to ban a flag my ancestors fought under in the name of political correctness are vile and uncalled for. I would support a dead skunk for political office before I would support a politician or educator who banned the display of Confederate battle flag

    [/ QUOTE ]
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    My ancestors were mainly of Irish, German, and Cherokee descent. I would say it would be safe to bet that 99% of us on here had ancestors that "didn't have a pot to pee in", let alone own slaves. One percent of the population owned ninety percent of the slaves. If one of my forefathers did own slaves, then the need for apology falls on his shoulders, not mine. The Bible teaches very clearly that we can answer for our sins ONLY. Early Christians, some of which were slaves, were taught to make the best of the situation they were in. Did God (GASP!!) endorse slavery??? He must have, since He allowed His children to stay in Egypt as slaves for 400 years. Has Egypt ever apologized for what the Pharoahs did? Germany for Hitler? Italy for Mussolini? Japan for Hirohito? Mongolia for Genghis Khan?
    I think the "official" apology is a joke, and is not binding to me or my ancestors.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  2. #32
    Inactive Member jtw61194's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2006
    Posts
    873
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    I'm sure everybody has seen "Animal House" when Bluto smashed the guitar? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  3. #33
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    why is it such a big deal to say sorry for something as horrible as slavery?

    I think its great VA is apologizing for it.

    i dont agree with reparation or anything, but a formal apology was a great sign.

    once again, I just cannot believe their is ACTUAL OPPOSITION to a formal apology to slavery.

    we shouldnt let it go, we shouldnt forget about it, remember how things were, ALWAYS remember, just keep it as a reminder to how far this country has come, and still moving forward.

    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  4. #34
    Inactive Member imported_trumpet1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2003
    Posts
    2,533
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    I am for VA apologizing for certain people if they didn't already do it.

    But yeah, a lot of black people need to move on. If they weren't trying to victimize themselves and expecting all white people to bow down to them today, then a great deal of this racism wouldn't be happening.

    Over here at Berea, on MLK Jr. day, they reenacted the March on Washington by marching from the college to the city hall and the student chaplain at the other freshman male dorm who was black reenacted Dr. King's speech. If they want to do that, good for them. But at one of the basketball games one night I happened to overhear a few black students talking, well complaining. They were saying "man I can't believe they didn't recognize MLK Jr. day that much and yet everybody's always making a big deal over St. Patrick's Day". I thought to myself, "wow they cancelled classes and reenacted the March on Washington, and all anybody ever does on St. Patrick's Day is encourage you to wear green so you don't get pinched, why are they complaining?"

    While I agreed with the apology, I have a bad feeling that a lot of black folks who have the victim mentality are gonna demand more. We apologized for slavery, gave them their voting rights that they should have equally, automatically give them jobs even if it means denying the job to a white person who happens to be more qualified, give them an entire month, etc. Is that not enough?

    If they want a job, they should earn it, not get it just because they are a minority. That, itself, is discrimination.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

  5. #35
    Inactive Member aphrodite4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2006
    Posts
    537
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    I disagree with this whole apology thing to begin with. I doubt that my ancestors owned any slaves, being as they were pretty poor, but if they did I say good for them. Why apologize for something that you didnt do?
    RE-ELECT MARK HUTCHINSON SB DISTRICT 1.
    DONALD DUCK FOR SB IN DISTRICT 2 & 3. [ALL CANDIDATES ARE WORTHLESS]
    RE-ELECT KYLE FLETCHER SB DISTRICT 4
    [img]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/aphrodite4evermore/wildcat.jpg[/img]

  6. #36
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    "but if they did, good for them"

    what??!?!?

    you are a moron, [censored] son.

    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

  7. #37
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    Yeah I agree. I haven't done anything. I've never owned a slave. But if my ancestors did, good for them. In that day and time, it was their way of life. What many people don't realize is that slavery just wasn't black people, there were native americans, irish-men, scotts, mexicans, spaniards, etc.... I mean, yes as time went on, it got more into racism than slavery. But do we, as generation X, or generatin now (i think that's the new generation's name)... NO, we do not have to aplogize, nor should anyone who wasn't directly involved in that time.
    But slavery exist today, the only thing is they don't live in the harsh conditions that they lived in during those times. Also, we have new names for them, more formal, Butlers, personal assistants, etc. I mean, what's the difference, it's people working for higher end people, and getting paid to do everything they dont want to do.

  8. #38
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah I agree. I haven't done anything. I've never owned a slave. But if my ancestors did, good for them. In that day and time, it was their way of life. What many people don't realize is that slavery just wasn't black people, there were native americans, irish-men, scotts, mexicans, spaniards, etc.... I mean, yes as time went on, it got more into racism than slavery. But do we, as generation X, or generatin now (i think that's the new generation's name)... NO, we do not have to aplogize, nor should anyone who wasn't directly involved in that time.
    But slavery exist today, the only thing is they don't live in the harsh conditions that they lived in during those times. Also, we have new names for them, more formal, Butlers, personal assistants, etc. I mean, what's the difference, it's people working for higher end people, and getting paid to do everything they dont want to do.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    100% agreed .. very well put and several great points.

    I get the feeling that most of the time on here, people would rather lash out with insults than try and be constructive or deal with disagreements reasonably.
    Officially retired

  9. #39
    Inactive Member PVVikeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,188
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    Why not just appologize to the British for dumping their tea into the harbor while we're at it?????
    Makes about as much sense.
    _________________________________________________________
    HOW'S THAT HOPE AND CHANGE WORKING OUT FOR YA ??????

  10. #40
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Va apologizes for slavery...

    In related news:
    The U.S aploogized to the Jewish for not getting to them soon enough when the Nazis committed those atrocities.
    The U.S. also apologized to the Native Americans for stealing their land, as well as demanded an apology from the French for stabbing us in the back after we saved their [censored].
    Apologies are expected to be extended to the Polish for the polock jokes, the Mexicans for hiring them so cheaply, and the Cubans, for stealing their baseball olympians.

    This world is getting so thin-skinned [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •